Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 8, 2010

28 Weeks and Counting!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for all of the phone calls, visits, food, magazines, thoughts and prayers. Matt and I are so blessed to have such wonderful people in our lives and we truly appreciate everything. Little Benton is doing wonderfully - he doesn't seem to affected at all by what has been going on. The sonographer did another ultrasound this morning, and he is weighing in at 2 lbs 10 oz! She told Mom and me that normally babies weigh that much at 30-31 weeks - and we are only at 28! Our little boy also moves around ALL THE TIME. :) He has gotten big enough that I can actually feel his little heels as they move along the top of my belly (sounds uncomfortable but is really cool!)

Well here's the play by play of the last week:
Since my bleeding has been so unpredictable, and they always seem to occur at night, Mom and Matt have been alternating nights staying with me. I'm so thankful for this; not only do I have company in the evenings, but I also have someone here with me in case something happens. I did have a 3rd bleed last Friday morning at 1:45 a.m. Strangely enough, the 2nd bleed had happened exactly a week prior - same day and time. The doctors have decided what is happening is a subchorionic bleed. Basically, there is a hematoma (bruise) that has developed between the main placenta and the uterine wall. When it fills with enough blood, it begins to bleed. The problem is that if the hematoma fills and does not bleed, it will eventually cause the placenta to abrupt. The doctor explained that I will know if it's the "big bleed" (the one that will result in an emergency c-section) because a major abruption will put me in excruciating pain. Luckily, I have not had any pain before/during these bleeds - just back pain/contractions afterward. This 3rd bleed did reaffirm the fact that I need to be in the hospital, since the nurses and doctors were able to immediately tend to me and check everything out.
Other than this episode, last week went really well. The beginning of the week was pretty busy - ultrasounds, exams, doctors' visits, etc, but I quickly settled in. I'm not able to leave my room often, but Mom and I have been on a few walks around the L&D floor - and by walks I mean, a slow crawl down the hall a few steps and then back to the room. :) We also went on a wheelchair ride around the hospital. She took me to see where the Children's Hospital, McDonald's, the cafeteria, and gift shop are. It was exciting to get out of the room for a little bit! I am catching up on all the sitcoms I never had time to watch, and I've gotten lots of sleep. :) We had lots of visitors, which was wonderful and definitely made the days go by faster. Last night, we had a mini Super Bowl party in my room. The Brinkleys and the Prossers brought all kinds of fabulous food - chicken wings, pizza, jalapeno poppers, corn dip, brownies...it was delicious! I ate a ton - it was a definite break from hospital food! Like I said before, we are so lucky to have such great friends!!

11 comments:

  1. I saw your link on the Sowards blog and just wanted to say that I'm praying for you and your sweet boy!! I am 28 weeks as well with a little boy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! A new post! So proud of your blogging mama! Can't wait to see you on Wednesday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the update and hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad you started a blog!!! Praying for you guys and your sweet little baby boy!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad to hear that it's at least tolerable, Katie, and that you're getting lots of company and rest. Know you, Matt, and Benton in our thoughts and prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Katie--we're thinking about you! Now you know the craziness I was feeling when I was sitting in your living room watching my belly move all around! Pretty surreal! It's such an awesome thing! Keep staying positive! Placenta abruption is not fun...We'll be praying it doesn't come to that. Wish we could be there too to visit you :( I'm glad so many are keeping you company! Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Katie- I am a friend of Kathy's and linked to your blog from hers. I wanted to let you know that you are in my prayers daily! We may have never met, but God has laid you and your sweet family on my heart- I also have my girls bible study praying for you. Hang in there! You have such a great attitude about being in the hospital for so long- you inspire me to keep trusting God during difficult times! i hope that we can become "blog" friends :) I will be reading so thanks for the updates!

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're thinking about you, Matt and baby Benton every day! Can't wait to see you THIS week....woohoo!! Love you lots, Kym

    ReplyDelete
  9. Katie,

    Crazy blogland... Monica Wells follows my blog and I wanted to check on who else she follows (I am sooo nosy!). Anyway, you and I met during some HR orientation a few years ago at Brookhaven when we both started teaching in Aiken County. My husband is Mike Willis (Tea Garden), and your dad is my boys' pediatrician. We also chatted at the Hloford wedding. Any of this ringing a bell?!

    Anyway, I started doing this crazy blog thing in October and have met so many wonderful women this way. In fact, I am going to Nantucket with four of them in September!

    This will be a great way for you to keep your sanity as you are spending the next month or so in Augusta. Take a look and start following my blog (It's a Golden Day) and then link over to some of my friends!

    Keeping you and precious Benton in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 29 weeks today Mommy!!!! We should celebrate each Monday with a cake and ice cream! :) I'll see you this weekend! If not at a slumber party, I'll come during the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thinking about you Katie. We love it when you update your blog! We were talking about it during the Juniors meeting last Monday. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete